Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

The Decision

I was itching to write something and wrote this on 10/07/2012 using the prompt "Stars blazed in the night sky".


Stars blazed in the night sky. I lost count of them as I lay down flat on the soft, white sands of the Copacabana beach. There were very few people around me - there was a man dressed in a stark white sleeveless shirt and corduroy trousers puffing cuban cigars, an old lady in a bright floral printed gown, the lone customer of the Seaside Inn (she was the owner probably!) and a couple of shirtless macho teenagers tinkering surfboards, flaunting their abs in front of a threesome group of sophomore girls. And there I was blessed with a stunning ink black complexion in my 33rd year of life. Yes, it was my birthday and I was smothered with many calls and Facebook messages. I am a loner, not married and living alone. Once every month, I visit my parents in the Old Mexican town near the Holy Cathedral. I have had my share of boyfriends and fragile relationships and decided not to venture any further down that mysterious road.

If there was an alpha lioness I guess that would be me - an independent, beautiful African woman who strives hard to educate the children of remote Mexican villages. I write during my spare time and sing my heart out in the shower. I love to eat and I am a self-confessed exotic food lover. I do not like pets, I do not like them caged but love to watch them live in the wild. No wonder I found my solo trip to Kenya the most exhilarating experience in my life - not to forget keeping in utter silence when a pride of lions lurked just a few hundred metres away! 

So many thoughts run in mind, all that I did in the last 32 years of my life and what I would do in the future. There is so much that I do not know, so much that I want to know. There was something missing in my life - definitely not the absence of a man and thereby a family, no not that! 

It was this unsatiated feeling in the pit of my stomach, a longing in my heart, waiting for myself to pull myself out of the ordinary. And there I took a pledge in the dark night of the beach, with the million stars and the waning moon, that I am destined to travel, that I am to tour the world - to meet new people, to learn new cultures, to see the expanse of God’s work, to enjoy the freedom that comes out in pleasure travelling and to explore the real me through my wanderlust adventures.



No comments:

Post a Comment